Tenant FAQs

I want to book a viewing what do I do?
Once you have found a property and would like to book a viewing simply fill out our online contact form, or give us a call on 0113 205 9400 . We will arrange an appointment to meet you at the property at a convenient time, we can do viewings on evenings and weekends depending on availability. We cannot grant a tenancy for legal restrictions to anyone under the age of 18
I would like to take the property whats next?
You will need to fill out our application form, this can be done online or we can email you a copy. If you require a hard copy, copies are available to collect at your local branch.
Which documents do I need for application?
After the application form is fully completed and the application fee has been paid we will request certain details from you to start the referencing process. The documents include: – Your current and previous address details – Proof of your current address – Proof of ID ( Passport or Driving Licence ) – Your employment details – Conformation of your income ( Last months Wage slip and Bank statement ) – Details of your right to live and work in the UK – Your landlords contact details – A copy of your current tenancy agreement

The documents you have produced will allow us to collect references from your current employer and landlord and also complete a full credit search. Also any Visa checks if applicable.

Do I need a guarantor?
If you haven’t been employed for longer than 6 months, or you are not in permanent Full Time employment, or the rent is more than 40% of your annual income, a guarantor will be needed. Your guarantor will go through the same referencing process as you and will agree to take joint responsibility for the rent of the property. The guarantor will be liable to pay any rent arrears and for any damages the deposit does not cover.
What if I have CCJ’s or arrears?
Honesty is always the best policy, having bad credit isn’t always a no, but if you fail to declare any CCJ’s or arrears when filling in any forms regarding your credit history this will lead to a declined application.
I have passed my credit search and references what happens next?
Once all the references and searches are complete we will send you a letter of confirmation offering you the tenancy. We will complete all the paperwork, tenancy agreement and contact you to arrange for the deposit and the first months rent payment, also for you to sign the tenancy agreement.
What is a Tenancy Agreement?
A tenancy agreement is a legal binding document signed by yourself, your landlord or the landlords representative, that sets out your rights, obligations and responsibilities within the tenancy.
How long is a Tenancy Agreement?
The minimum term for a tenancy agreement is 6 months, on some properties the term will be for a minimum of 12 months but a longer agreement term can be negotiated.
What is the tenancy deposit for and were does it go?
After the tenancy deposit has been paid it is a legal requirement that the deposit is registered in a government approved deposit scheme within 30 days. The deposit will be used in the case of repairing any damage above fair wear and tear that may happen during the tenancy, for none payment of rent or if the property requires professional cleaning. A detailed inventory done at the start of your tenancy combined with periodic inspection reports will help assess if any deductions are deemed fair or necessary.
What is an Inventory?
An inventory is a document that describes the condition of the property and the condition of anything left behind by the Landlord. The inventory will be carried out before you move in to the property either by us or your Landlord. It is important at the start of the tenancy both parties sign and agree that the inventory is correct, this will help to clear up in any disputes at the end of the tenancy.
Do I need insurance?
You are responsible for insuring your own personal possessions so we strongly advise contents insurance. Your landlord will be responsible for insuring the building.
What are my responsibilities?
As a tenant your responsibilities are as follows: – To pay the rent on time – To pay the utility bills – To pay the TV licence unless the tenancy agreement states otherwise – To maintain the gardens if applicable – To keep the property clean and tidy – To do general household maintenance for example changing light bulbs – To make sure the property is kept secure at all times – To keep the property ventilated – To clean the windows – To dispose of all rubbish – To report repairs or any maintenance issues as soon as possible – To respect the neighbourhood and not to cause any disturbance or unnecessary noise
Who notifies the utility companies that I have move in?
If we manage the property we will initially notify the utility companies, but it is your responsibility to set up your account and pay the bills. In the case of a property we manage we will take meter readings at the start and the end of the tenancy, if we don’t manage the property we always advise you take meter readings at the start and end of your tenancy.
Who pays the council tax?
It is your responsibility to pay the council tax unless stated otherwise on the tenancy agreement.
If I have a problem how do I report a repair?
If you have a maintenance or repair issue it is important you report it to us as soon as possible. You can do this online or by calling 0113 205 9400, we will contact your landlord to arrange any repairs. If landlord is under our management and maintenance service we will contact and liaise with the appointed contractors.
What if the Landlord wants to gain access?
If the landlord wants to gain access you must receive 24 hours notice in writing. The exception would be in the case of an emergency.
If any works or inspections need to be carried out access may be granted earlier but always with verbal conformation first.
I want to give notice to end my tenancy what do I do?
If you would like to end your tenancy this procedure can be straightforward just as long as you adhere to your tenancy agreement and follow the right procedures and timescales. You can give notice to end your tenancy in writing to your landlord or managing agent 1 month before your tenancy agreement is due to expire.
What if I want to end my tenancy early?
Your tenancy agreement is a legal binding contract that your landlord has to adhere to and so do you. If you leave before the end of your tenancy agreement you may still be liable for the rent and all charges associated until the fixed term of your agreement has expired. A formal “ surrender “ may be requested from either party but the terms and conditions have to be agreed, this might include financial compensation for any costs or inconvenience incurred.
What happens to my deposit once I move out?
On the day you check out, the property will be assessed against the inventory carried out at the start of the tenancy alongside any inspection reports. The property is expected to be in the same condition allowing for Fair wear and tear as the day you moved in. Once the property assessment is completed and any deductions have been agreed you should receive your deposit within 7 working days. In the case of disputed deductions both parties can submit evidence to the DPS ( Deposit Protection Scheme ) for a third party ruling.
At the end of my tenancy who stops my standing order?
At the end of your tenancy you must cancel the standing order for rent payments by contacting your bank, as we cannot do this for you. Over payments returned by us will be chargeable.
Landlord Services

Still need help?

Whether you are renting for the first time or you have rented a property before, to help you understand the rental procedure we have provided a step by step guid in the form of FAQs.

Information about the documents you will need and your responsibilities as a tenant are available here.